Interactive Header

Robin Writes Header
Robin Writes Header
home bio contact projects interviews

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wordworking: V is for very (and so)

As in, "I am so very happy I'm doing the A to Z challenge."

Very: an adverb (boo) used for emphasis (double boo)
So: an adverb (boo) used for emphasis (double boo)

Like Nancy E. Turner's just, very and so are words to avoid. Search them out in revisions, remove them ,and replace the verb they modified with a more specific, effective verb.

"I am thrilled I'm doing A to Z challenge."

5 comments:

  1. Great post and VERY good.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The obvious rejoinder would be, "This post is so very helpful!" But let's say instead, "This post is priceless!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and to the point. I'll need to do a search and find for these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great, simple tip to improve writing!
    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr

    ReplyDelete