Interactive Header

Robin Writes Header
Robin Writes Header
home bio contact projects interviews

Monday, April 8, 2013

Wordworking: G is for Gerunds





The first time I heard the word gerunds was when I read my feedback from the amazing Pk Hrezo. She told me that I really liked using gerunds.

Gerunds, I thought, what the heck is a gerund? So I googled it.

A gerund is a noun made from a verb + ing.

I found this amazing chart to explain the whole thing:
used with permission of aldhafra6english.blogspot.com.
Now that I'm conscious of them, I try to use them less, especially at the beginning of a sentence. If I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me in the comments. Tomorrow is my first guest blogger: Liesl Shurtliff, and on her book birthday. *squeals* I'm so dang excited.
Are you doing the A to Z challenge? Let me know and I'll come check it out.

Write On:D

11 comments:

  1. Cool. I didn't know what it was. Thanks for teaching me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either! I use a lot of "ing" words too. I was told I need to NOT start so many sentences with them.
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to pretend that having a multitude of gerunds is perfectly acceptable. And the reality hits. This is a great little Simon chart that makes it all more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think gerunds are just "in," right now. It's not just you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since my 8th grade English class (which was taught at a 9th grade honors level), I've never been able to forget about gerunds! I think that's the only thing I remember about all the grammar I learnt that year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya I discovered the real meaning of gerunds not too long ago and makes me very conscious while I'm writing. Almost wish I could take English 101 over again. lol Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I skipped right over my name earlier. Doh! lol Thanks for the mention and linkage. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I'm going to have to re-read all my posts now to check for gerunds! Interesting.
    Good luck with the rest of the A-Z Challenge.
    Ebby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, cool choice! I haven't thought about gerunds for a long time--and I'm an English major. It's a fun word to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gerunds. I had no idea! How interesting.

    (ps I'm doing the A-Z challenge, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the chart. I teach a workshop on avoiding gerunds and this chart will be perfect to add to my lessons. I'll contact the source first, of course.

    MM

    ReplyDelete