Interactive Header

Robin Writes Header
Robin Writes Header
home bio contact projects interviews

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Next Big Thing-Meme

Jenny S. Morris of Jenny's Imaginary World tagged me for The Next Big Thing and I feel so flattered. She is an awesome writer and blogger. Her book is contemporary with a bit of magic like mine. I would LOVE to BETA it. *crosses fingers* Find her answers here. Taryn Albright, my incredible, I can do All Things, CP, of A Fool's Golden Paradise also tagged me last month. Check out her answers here.

What is the working title of your book? LOVESENSE

Where did the idea come from for the book? My husband claims he can look at a photo of couple and tell if they're going to stay together. It's how he knew his brother-in-law (who he'd never met) was going to marry his sister. That ability was the basis for my 2011 NaNo. I'm a pantser, so all I really knew was that she could read love in photographs. Everything else (such as love literally stinking) came while drafting or through lots and lots of revisions. 

What genre does your book fall under? YA Magical Realism

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in the movie rendition? 
Here's the part where I admit that I don't know actors and I have no idea:) If Lovesense ever gets optioned for a movie I'll let the casting to someone else:)

What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Love literally stinks for seventeen-year-old Rae, that is, until she smells her match in an unidentified baby picture.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I recently signed with the lovely Julia A Weber of Literaturagentur GMbH. We're currently revising the manuscript and hope to be on sub before the end of the year.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see the intro? Lovesense was my 2011 NaNo. I can't wait for this year! (If you're doing NaNo, let me know, I'd love to be your writing buddy. I'm registered as Robinwrites.) My first page is below.

I often regret my part-time job as the ice cream/photo counter girl at Alfred’s Drug Store. But in a town as small as Sparrow, a seventeen-year-old doesn’t have a lot of options.

No more reading relationships at work, I remind myself as I tap my cross-trainers in time with the photo processor’s whir, whir, flip. It spews three hundred prints of Mary Brighten and her fiancĂ© but I’m not looking, especially after last week’s debacle with Mom’s friend Barb. Trust me, being the first to know that your mom’s best friend’s husband is leaving her for their pool boy sucks the big one.

Craning my neck I see the “Alfred’s has the Answer” digital clock: forty-seven minutes ‘til the bride waltzes in. The whir is louder than our cheesy elevator music, and my nose, even though I’m telling it no, is taking in bigger and bigger breaths. I pop another Altoid into my already crammed mouth. I don’t want to know! Think about Barb. But I’m like a crack addict needing my next hit. And there isn’t an addiction recovery program to save me.

I pull a photo off the top of the stack. Even with the wonderful aroma of fresh ink, it doesn’t begin to cover the stench of this couple. It’s more than that rotten-egg sulfur smell I made in chem lab yesterday. It’s also rotting meat and moldy, squishy potatoes. A good dinner gone wrong.As I squint at the picture, the formally clad couple separates, not mere millimeters like I usually see, but
to opposite sides of the photo.


What other book(s) would you compare it to within your genre? Mandy Hubbard's You Wish. 

Who or What inspired you to write this book? My muse:) Laughing with my husband about the idea of a girl with his "abilities" inspired me. Also, my hubby and I fell in love in a weight room so it was fun to write those scenes and think of Stan and I falling in love. (Although Rae and Sam are quite different than my husband and me--except for extremely athletic, of course.)

What else about this book might pique your readers interest? I had a great time researching the worst smells in the world, and also deciding what real love would smell like. There are a lot of almost kisses and awkward first love moments, and there's an awful sonnet, written by yours truly, that might just make you giggle.

Now to pass this along. I'm tagging the winners from my giveaway last month. You didn't think you were getting those prizes free, did you?

Ilima T. also won, but I know she already posted The Next Big Thing here.


18 comments:

  1. Love the sound of your book! And thanks for tagging me. :) I actually posted the meme a couple days ago: http://steph-diaz.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-next-big-thing.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is your husband the type who will be taking credit for your story when you get published? :)

    Thanks for the tag. I just posted this one on Sunday. I wasn't going to write the first page, but since I was doing this Meme, I did. The rest will come at NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He takes credit for my writing already;) I need to check out your post now:D

      Delete
  3. I didn't know Stan inspired the premise of your book! :-) And that sounds like just the thing he'd claim to have the ability to do. Although, as a psychologist, I'm sure he reads all kinds of things into people's body language with each other. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup-he does a ton of "reading relationships" Stan was quite the character even before his degree (when he saw the photo of his sister and her boyfriend). And because he would definitely remind you, he's not a psychologist, but a Marriage and Family Therapist. (But just between you and me, they pretty much do the same thing;-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, your MS excerpt is really good! I love the premise, too. I actually did this meme already and it's totally fun. I wish more writers were doing this on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this one is fun to read. I'll have to check your out:)

      Delete
  5. I love that Stan was the inspiration behind this book. How did I miss that before? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't keeping it a secret-honestly I didn't even realize I hadn't told my CP's - good think I did this meme:)

      Delete
  6. Aww, what fun! Your book sounds fantastic!!! This was so much fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I'm excited to have you on my blog in a few weeks:D

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the book. It sounds like an amazingly good and original read.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin! New follower here... Wanted to drop by and say thanks for your kind comment on Liz's blog. Loved reading more about you... Your project sounds fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pretty sure I saw your book at GUTGAA. I love the title. And I want to know what love smells like, because right now, all I can smell is my dog who needs a bath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea, Robin! Smell is a fun thing to write about. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Lovesense! How funny your hubs senses it. It's such a cool idea.

    btw I just ripped out the entire epilogue and frame from TD and revising with a new ending. :)Thanks again for your notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, new ending-super curious about it-excited for TD!

      Delete