Interactive Header

Robin Writes Header
Robin Writes Header
home bio contact projects interviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stan's Example

Every writer seems to struggle with confidence at one time or another. For me, it was the fear of even starting-I didn't want to be a failure. I didn't want to begin until I knew that I could actually accomplish my goal that I could not only write a complete novel, but that I could also get it published.
Five years ago my husband Stan and I were having a discussion. He insisted that anyone could write a book. I didn't agree. So, to prove me wrong he spent the next three years working and reworking a book.
The werid thing is that I forgot my dream to write for a while. I was in supportive wife role and busy young mom role. I kept up my insane reading habits, but didn't try to write again until Stan showed me his finished novel. "I wrote this," he said, "to prove to you that you can write one to. And make a ton of money and start supporting us." He said the last part jokingly and we laughed together.
Still it renewed my longtime desire. I would start writing again. If my husband could write a book during his master's program, then I could write a book too. I would.
Now finally I've taken the plunge. I'm calling myself a writer and I'm writing. Before I was pregnant I was writing every day. That first trimester messed up my record a bit. Even so, I've begun telling people what I am doing and it feels good. I know I'm at the start of a long, frustrating road, but I'm grateful to be on it. And what's more, I'm sticking with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment