Interactive Header

Robin Writes Header
Robin Writes Header
home bio contact projects interviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

I HAVE AN AGENT!

My story is LONG. If you want the short version, scroll to the bottom :D

The best  four dollars I ever spent was to enter Cupid's Literary Connection's Come and Get it Contest  last month (my entry is here). Not only did I make it to the agent round, but I received three requests (from awesome agents) and was also contacted by my awesome judge to query the Super Agent she reads for because she thought Super Agent would really like my manuscript.

So, the week after I officially began querying I sent out all those partials and queried Super Agent. She was on my list of Dream Agents I'd been compiling over the past year and a half. I loved her blog, twitter, her clients, her sales, I couldn't imagine anything better than landing a dream.

I kept querying, but Super Agent was so fast-3 days later she requested my full. I hurried to send more queries.  When Super Agent emailed to say she was half way thru and loving it, I queried more.

The Offer of Representation came 2 days later (16 days after I sent my first query)! I was the luckiest girl in the universe. I screamed and jumped up and down and checked the email 50 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. My 6 year-old thought I had a Secret Agent, so we did a lot of singing that song, Secret Agent Man... I called my husband and all my CP's breathless with the news. My heart rate stayed elevated that entire day--I was that happy.

It took my 2 hours to write the email back. At that point she wanted me, how could I want anyone else? But with the desire to be professional and follow protocol I responded simply that I was thrilled she was interested and we set up a time the next morning for "THE CALL".

Not wanting to waste their time, I almost didn't inform the other agents with my partials, fulls, and queries, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to contact them. So before "The Call" I sent them out, giving everyone 7 days (because this was Super Agent, right?!?).

I had my huge list of questions, my water bottle, and my computer at the ready. I did Sun Salutations to keep myself calm as I waited for the phone to ring. Super Agent called at 11:02 am. We didn't chat much, but went straight to my questions-so don't forget to have plenty. (I found mine here and here). She was nice, blunt at times (which I liked), and confident. We laughed as we discussed what worked and didn't work, revision plans, business plans, other projects, and so forth. We talked for 45 minutes. I was so proud of myself for being able to talk to a FAMOUS PERSON and actually form words.

After the call I journaled exactly how I was feeling, what I thought about Super Agent, how we'd work together, and so forth. I was still happy, but more unsure-especially because she wasn't very editorial (even though LiteraryRambles and multiple of her clients sites said she was in the past). I'd wanted that "I'm in the right place feeling," but instead of being more calm, I became more anxious. The next week was going to be a long one. Still, Super Agent would sell my book to the world, she was "the one."

I emailed two of her clients and we talked a lot-they loved her. It was their perfect fit, but still I wasn't sure if it was mine.

Then, 2 days before the deadline I received another offer from one of the agents from the Cupid's Lit Connection Contest. Wow! Another agent believes in LOVESENSE. New Agent and I emailed extensively on that first day. Asking and answering questions and getting a good feel for each other.

I emailed Super Agent a few editorial clarifications and confirmed that she wouldn't be editing my book. I also emailed one of New Agent's clients and got a feel for New Agent that way.

Instead of "THE CALL" we had "THE SKYPE" because she's based in Europe. When she asked if Skype was okay, I thought, "Oh man, then she'll see me." We were talking at 6 am my time. I moved it back to 6:15 so I could put on clothes (good idea, right?) and *hopefully* force my contacts to stick to my eyeballs.

I wasn't as anxious this time, but then we'd already conversed a ton and I had a really good feeling going into it. We had a great conversation and I asked a lot of hard questions all of which she tackled. I was getting that feeling (the one that had been tickling me the day before). I knew I had found the right agent: Julia A. Weber of Literaturagentur GmbH. You might know her from twitter as @jawlitagent.

I couldn't be happier.







61 comments:

  1. Congratulations Robin!! So happy for you. That is "the call" we all of us writers dream of getting. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Robin! I remember this so well from Cupid and WriteOn (I think, maybe a diff contest?) and am not the least bit surprised you found a home for it with an outstanding agent!! Love this story and can't wait to read it someday soon:) GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I can't wait for you to read it either:) I did WOC, so probably from there.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!

    I think about the editorial agent. Sometimes I've seen that on their websites that they don't do it, and it probably makes me move the name down my query list. I want someone who'll help with editing and suggestions. So hopefully when my time comes, I'll find that too.

    Good luck with your next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've wanted and editorial agent all along. It was a strange situation to discover something wasn't what I had thought. I know you're querying soon-I wish you the BEST of luck!!!!

      Delete
  4. Yay, Robin!!! So thrilled for you. I think you and Julia are going to be awesome together. *throws confetti* Congrats, my girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! thanks for your shout outs. I'm a happy girl. And the confetti rain, it's pretty dang awesome:)

      Delete
  5. SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you, Robin! Awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Robin. You found the perfect match for you and I'm so happy! I follow Julia on twitter and she seems oh-so-awesome.

    You need to do some celebrating and go out for a huge dinner, because you forgot to tell everyone, how in the stress of it all, you lost six pounds!

    Chocolate all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate-excellent suggestion. Glad you love Julia!

      Delete
  7. Oh I knew it was only a matter of time! Congrats!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie Mae-thanks for your confidence. I hope to see both of our books in print soon!

      Delete
  8. Yay, congratulations! I'm so happy for you-- it's great to find that perfect match. Thanks for sharing your great story, and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for celebrating with me! I love the writing community and celebrating with each of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! This is such an awesome story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Yay! We can have a virtual party one of these days:)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations, Robin! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Robin! What a dream come true! Your first query -- multiple offers! I am so happy for you and LOVESENSE! I hope that first page helped! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne,

      Yes, First Impressions really helped:) I feel SO much better about my start now-and obviously it hooked Julia. *happy dance*

      Delete
  14. I love how you went with your gut! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. The gut doesn't lie, right?!?

      Delete
  15. Congrats, Robin! That is so exciting! I hope everything works out for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! I sure hope everything works out too!!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant news. Many congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is soooo awesome!!! But I am not surprised! :D

    Congrats!!!!!!!! Skype? Aaah! Scary!

    I can't believe the speed of this one!

    Expect an email from me soon!

    CONGRATS AGAIN! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cupid. Your arrows had excellent aim:)

      Delete
  19. I honestly don't have time to read this write now, but I was looking for something on fb for a post I'm trying to finish up and saw this link and had to come say CONGRATS! WAY TO GO! So so happy for you! I promise I will read the story later :)

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha *right* not *write*

      Don't you hate that?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Britney! I mess up that right and write all the time now-LOL

      Delete
  20. YAY!! Congratulations. We are so excited for you! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Congratulations, Robin! I really enjoyed reading your excellent stuff at WIFYR and Writeoncon, so it's no surprise agents were clamoring to work with you. I'm thrilled (and completely jealous)for your well-deserved success. I can't wait to hear about the book deal!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Zach. I look forward to hearing good news from you as well:)

      Delete
  22. This is so EXCITING! I love hearing how you picked between the two :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! I just read this (see, I told you I would) and yay! Good for you for recognizing the right fit for you even though you could have had your "dream agent." So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Britney. I'm impressed you remembered to come back:D

      Delete
  24. Amazing story! And congratulations! This is super exciting news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I'm still in disbelief myself. The reality of revisions will set in soon-lol

      Delete
  25. Great post! Congrats on getting an agent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Btw, I tagged you for The Next Big Thing. Feel free to check out my post today to see if you want to play along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happiness and sunshine and a huge pat on the back for my brilliant and beautiful CP (and BFF) Robin!!! So proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! You've been my cheerleader all along. So glad to have you!

      Delete
  28. Congrats!!! Looking forward to hearing greater successes from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elana! Always impressed how much you give back and follow all "the little people" :)

      Delete
  29. I love these posts and I'm so happy to see yours. You are such a sweet and deserving person so your new agent is lucky to have you too.
    All the best! BIG CONGRATS! *confetti tosses* and ((hugs))

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. OH MY GOSH! I have been so out of the loop, but HUGE GIANT CONGRATULATIONS! I am so, so, so excited for you and can't wait to hear more exciting news in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete